Thursday, July 9, 2020

Onion Rings


What to do when Fred Meyer Bush Shopping sends you not sweet onions, but yellow onions, two weeks in a row?

I mean, onions are great in the right proportion in a casserole or a soup, but you can only go so far in consuming that many onions in a reasonable amount of time.

Onions rings would be amazing, I thought, but I've never made them before. And they're probably hard to make. And they won't be any good. Nix that idea.

But it wouldn't be nixed. Like an the aroma wafting from a 1950's diner, it kept coming back to me. 

So there I was in the kitchen, dropping the first battered onion slice into the bubbling oil. Please be good, I pleaded. I could think of nothing nastier than barely-cooked onions coated in a greasy batter that refused to bond to a veggie interior. But my hopes rose as the batter transformed into a puffy golden brown. After cooking the other sides of the onion rings, I avidly placed the first steaming-hot goodies onto a plate lined with paper towels. I eyed them as they cooled, dropping the second batch into the hot oil. Finally, after squirting some ketchup onto a plate for dipping, I took my first bite . . . and . . .

. . . Bliss.

Heaven. Perfection. 10/10. 
 
They. Were. So. Good. 
 
Like, someone-please-stop-me-I'm-going-to-eat-them-all.

How did I not know that onion rings of this magnitude were so simple to produce? It just goes to show ya that our doubts often tend to hold us back from really awesome things.

You might be reading this and you're thinking, Great, now I want onion rings. Uh, let's see . . . Got some onions in your kitchen cupboard? Yeah? Basic staple ingredients? You do? Well then, whatcha waitin' for! You should definitely make some. :) 




R E C I P E  
 
 
Recipe from Food.com

1 egg
1 C. milk
1 C. flour
3 T. oil
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Oil for frying

Slice onions and separate into rings.

Pour oil into a medium or large-sized pan. Heat oil.

Combine all ingredients; stir until smooth.

Dip onion rings into batter.

Let excess batter drip off.

Fry for 2-3 minutes and place on paper towels to drain.

Freezing instructions: place in freezer bags and freeze. To reheat, place on tray in 375 degree oven for a few minutes.

2 comments:

Gretchen Joanna said...

That was inspiring! Now that you know how easy it was, you probably don't need another idea for what to do with a surplus of onions, but I'll tell you anyway that my favorite use is to make caramelized onions, which are good in sandwiches or as a condiment or so many ways, and they freeze really well, too.

Thanks for sharing your success and recipe!

Naomi Whitaker said...

Gretchen,

Indeed, who knew onions held such powers of inspiration! Thank YOU for the tip on using carmelized onions in a variety of dishes! It's given my pinazz a jog . . . I LOVE carmelized onions.

I'm happy you stopped by! :) Please come back.

Happy cooking!

Post a Comment