Saturday, July 4, 2020

Friday Evening Notebook + Banana Pudding Recipe

I am hearing . . .

Children are playing outside and their laughter is coming through my little window above my desk, which is open. The temperature is beautiful, 60 degrees, and it's sunny. At 9:53 pm. :)

In the kitchen . . .




Today I made a nanner puddin to finish off our 4th of July meal. (For those of you not acquainted with southern terminology, that's banana pudding.) I think I ate almost as many vanilla wafers as I laid down in the bottom of the pan. I forgot how yummy they are! Kind of like picking berries . . . gotta keep your strength up. ;) Then the smooth, soft layers of banana and the simple but comforting process of making homemade pudding. Is anything more homey than homemade pudding? Stirring away as the pudding steams and thickens . . . those thick, warm, vanilla bubbles are almost mesmerizing. We top our banana puddings with meringue, always a special finishing touch.

It has been years since I've made a nanner puddin myself, probably since I lived in Wainwright. I've eaten my share in the past five or so years, living in the south as I did before moving back to Alaska. A dear lady at my home church in Florida made nanner puddin devotedly for all of our church fellowships, which was at least twice a month. To this day hers are my absolute favorite. The reason why I haven't made a nanner puddin in so long is probably self-explanatory at this point -- I haven't had the need to! :) But now that I'm away from Mrs. Brenda, I need to make my own again.

(Recipe at end of post.)

I am reading . . .

Tread Upon the Lion, Book 3 of The Liberty Bell series by Gilbert Morris, Revival Praying by Scott Pauley, Lighting Styles by Kevin McCloud, and the books of Ezra and Psalms in my devotions

I am enjoying. . .

Reading blogs that I have recently discovered

My plans for next week. . .

Help with the building project going on at our property. Move a deep freezer and its contents into our kunichuk (Arctic entry room). General housecleaning, and maybe tackle a few areas that haven't been targeted yet this summer. Create plans for a standing shelf for behind the dryer (you can see it here). And hopefully a few bike rides with my sister, photography included!
 
 
 
R E C I P E
 
 
Recipe from Great-Grandma Addie Chisholm

Vanilla wafers
6 bananas
3 eggs, separated
3/4 C. sugar
2 T. flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 C. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. butter
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 C. sugar

Place cookies on bottom and sides of one 9" x 13" dish. Slice bananas and layer evenly over cookies.
 
Separate eggs. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; stir in milk. Cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Take 1/3 of hot mixture and, in a medium bowl, stir with egg yolks. Mix egg mixture with contents in saucepan; cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, for five minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter, stirring until butter is melted. Pour pudding evenly over banana layer.

Make a meringue with the egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat on medium with an electric mixer. When peaks begin to form, turn on high and slowly sprinkle in the sugar. Continue beating on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over the banana pudding. Place under a preheated broiler for about 2-3 minutes. Watch carefully, wait for even browning, and remove as soon as possible.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment